For the Fall of 2015, the Arizona Middle School Public Forum debate topic will be:
“Resolved: In the United States, the current system of federal income taxation should be replaced by a flat rate income tax.”
This topic will be used at all Middle School PF tournaments this semester. There will be a new topic in the spring.
Congratulations to Horizon High School’s own Speech and Debate Coach, Susan Seep. We know her as SWSDI’s “E Jefe,” the 2015-16 Arizona Speech, Debate, and Theater Educator of the Year, as well as serving as a 5A Conference representative. However, her work on behalf of the teachers of her district has earned her the honor of the Paradise Valley Education Association. In the words of the Association:
“PVEA is pleased to announce our October PROPS winner, Susie Chubrich Seep! Susie teaches Humanities at Horizon and also serves as the PVEA Vice-President. She was nominated by four of her colleagues at Horizon, and here is just part of their statement:
“Susie always goes way beyond the call of duty for not just her students, but the entire staff of HHS. It is amazing that one person can be as “on top of it” as she is. She spends countless hours here at Horizon as well as at other sites assisting teachers in all ways imaginable. Add to this her executive board duties and all she does there to support PVUSD teachers and this woman appears to be superhuman.
However, there’s even more: the kids. Susan’s main focus is the students at HHS. She is part of the Humanities Block program and offers these students an incredible classroom experience. She works in conjunction with an English teacher and our drama teacher to teach students social studies in an integrated curriculum format. The students and the parents love the Humanities Block and Susan is one of the driving forces behind the program.”
Congratulations, Susan – thanks for all you do for your students, colleagues, PVEA, as well as the Arizona Speech and Debate community!
The Arizona Novice Policy Debate packet is available at: http://aznovicedebate.pbworks.com/w/page/98840341/FrontPage
Novice CX teams should use this packet for this semester. Starting with the ASU tournament, teams are no longer limited to the materials contained therein.
The ASDCA is delighted to have a role in encouraging the tremendous growth in Arizona Middle School speech and debate. The following tournaments will have Middle School competition during the 2015-2016 school year:
10/3/15: Prep Congress @ Scottsdale Prep
Will offer separate MS and HS divisions. Anticipate multiple MS houses and a finals session this year.
- We encourage judges to be hands-on (pausing the round and give guidance on parliamentary procedure) to help make this a meaningful learning experience for new and veteran congress competitors.
- New Congress judges can find training materials (and sample ballots) on our Joyoftournaments page, and photocopies at check-in.
- Docket of Legislation is being posted (school names removed) in chunks as legislation is submitted to Wolnisty. Once the deadline for legislation hits, we will ballot down the docket. Final docket will add author school names back.
10/17/15: Novice Tournament @ Brophy College Prep
- Willing to offer a MS “Festival” Division (all speech events) in addition to HS division. Students rated (good, excellent, superior, etc.) rather than ranked. Focus is comments, exposure to tournament setting, and training judges.
- Unsure of MS Debate being offered. Look on Joy for invitation details…
11/14/15: Toro Country Classic @ Mountain View
- Concurrent with HS tournament. MS students only compete Saturday and must choose one track between: Congress, Public Forum Debate, or 1-2 Speech Events
1/30/16: Bobkitty Congress @ Central High School
- MS students compete Saturday-only. Concurrent with HS Bobcat Bonanza. MS students are offered chamber(s) of Congressional Debate.
2/6/16: Phoenix Country Day School Middle School Invitational
- Middle school invitational (offers all AZ middle school S&D events except Congress).
- Students need to choose between Speech (1-2 events) or Public Forum.
4/16/16: Spartan Junior Classic (MS Speech-only) @ Gilbert Classical Academy
- All 9 speech events. No congress or debate.
5/7/16: ASDCA MS Invitational @ Chandler Prep Academy
– Formerly “Great Hearts Junior High Invitational” (see ASDCA Convention)
– Students need to choose between Speech (1-2 events) or Public Forum.
6/12 – 6/18/16: National Middle School Tournament — Salt Lake City, Utah
More information about Middle School Speech and Debate competitive events will be forthcoming.
The SWSDI Practice Tournament at Horizon High School is this weekend. If you haven’t gotten your entry in yet, then head to http://www.joyoftournaments.com/az/brophy-swsdi/info.asp to get it in. There will be a judge training for your new judges and multiple rounds of festival-style performance for your competitors. We hope to see you there!
Today was the annual ASDCA Coaches Convention. Congratulations to Beth Clarke on her election as ASDCA President. John Wolnisty was reelected Treasurer. Kevin Berlat was elected to complete the current Public Relations term. The first AIA Committee meeting will be September 16. Forward any issues to President Clarke by September 4th for consideration.
In addition, there are several judge trainings available. Tempe Preparatory Academy will hold a judge training on September 14, at 6:30 PM. Contact John Wolnisty at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Mountain View High School will hold their training on September 15, also at 6:30 PM. Contact email@example.com. Finally, Mesquite High will have a judge training on September 29th at 6:00 PM. Cassie Alber will be able to give you more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are welcome at all judge trainings. We encourage you to get as many of your judges and parents trained as possible. The more judges, the merrier!
We have one week to go before our 2015 ASDCA Coaches Convention. If you haven’t signed up yet, or let Kevin know that you are coming, please do so soon. Don’t forget to order your lunches. Go to www.joyoftournaments.com/az for the registration website.
The 2015-2016 Tournament Handbook has been published and is available here: 15-16 Speech and Debate Rulesbook
We will go over the major and minor changes in the rules during the convention.
New coaches, don’t forget that we have our New Coaches Meeting at Mountain View High School this Saturday, 8/22. If you haven’t talked to Meg Howell yet, email her at email@example.com.
See you all soon!